Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Anna | Before and After

My sister is my favorite person to photograph.

I mean, I don't know if I love anything more than the photos I have of my son and husband, but photographing my sister is really fun. I've been taking photographs of her for as long as I can remember, so it is really fun to be able to just grab the camera, run outside, and give minimal directions for a four-minute photo shoot. It's relaxing, which I absolutely love.

Here's a before and after from a set we took last week.

Straight out of the camera:

before-1

Edited:

after-1

This photograph was taken pretty late in the day, around seven, with a Canon 85mm 1.8 lens and a Canon 5d Mark II.

Aperture: 1.8
Shutter Speed: 1/400 second
ISO: 500

I performed a pretty basic edit on this photograph in Adobe Lightroom 3. I love Lightroom. I think that Photoshop has awesome qualities and possibilities, but I usually keep Photoshop closed. Actually, I haven't even installed Photoshop in the new computer we bought in January. That's how little I use it. Anyway, I like my photographs to be as natural as possible and I'm constantly finding that, the better I do during a shoot, the quicker my edits become. For me, the joy is in shooting, not editing. There's nothing wrong with loving editing and shooting the same or even loving editing more than shooting but, for me, I would much rather be shooting than sitting in front of my computer editing, which is why I try to achieve rockin' shots while shooting.

This edit took me about forty-five seconds which, for me, is great!

For starters, I slightly upped the warmth in this photograph to enhance the setting sun. I then got rid of shadows, upped the vibrancy by quite a bit and slightly tweaked the saturation for a little more color. After that, all I did was a quick sharpen and noise reduction, followed by a tiny vignette.

And there it is! A simple edit for a photograph taken at the tail end of the golden hour.