Monday, February 6, 2012

Sandy | Before and After

I don't think it's any secret that I love for colors to pop in my photographs.

I love color! I love yellows and greens and blues and reds and purples and oranges and every other color out there. While I love black and white photographs as well (they're so classy!), color just speaks to my soul. And so! I thought it would be fun to start a new little series of before and after shots with a little bit of information on how I edit.

Here is the first one!

This shot is from the same session that my last One Photo, Three Ways was pulled from. These were taken in harsh sunlight in the middle of the day at an aperture of 2.8, an iso of 125, and with a shutter speed of 1/2000th of a second.

Before:

Before: Sandy

After:

After: Sandy

I actually love how this photograph looks all on its' lonesome, which is good! I always strive to get beautiful shots straight out of the camera because the better shots are in the camera, the better they will be when completed. We may talk about that more later, but today, we're talking about editing techniques. So! To achieve this color, I lightened the photograph, upped the contrast, upped the vibrance of the colors, smoothed the photograph by reducing nonexistent noise and, last but not least, added a slight vignette to the edges.

I love slight vignettes.

This was a pretty simple edit that took me less than a minute to complete and it is also a fairly basic one that I love to use on a good number of my photographs. I actually (and proudly) don't use any presets in my work. I like each photograph to be a fresh experience both during the shoot and in the processing stage, but I tend to increase vibrancy, up contrast, and add small vignettes on every photograph. Each photograph calls for different amounts, obviously, but there you have it: A simple edit by Lissa Clair Photos.

I'd also like to point out that temperature, contrast, vibrancy, and other basic edits are available on most software that comes with your computer, such as iPhoto and the basic editing programs on pc's, whose names have escaped me even though I started out with one. Picasa and Picnik also both have these basic features, so go ahead and try this out for yourself! It'll hook you faster than you could even imagine.